I've spent the majority of the month reading, editing, and worrying about adult responsibilities. Very tiring. Even though I'm on holidays, I feel like I've never been busier.
So, here are the first books of the year.
1. Heart of Steel (The Iron Seas, #2) - Meljean Brooke
2. Mr Fox - Helen Oyeyemi
3. Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) - Moira Young
4. Fire Spell - Laura Amy Schlitz
5. Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A.S. King
6. The Brides of Rollrock Island - Margo Lanagan *
7. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
8. Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) - Patrick Ness
9. Between the Lines - Jodie Picoult & Samantha van Leer
10. My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece - Annabel Pitcher
11. Falling to Ash (Moth, #1) - Karen Mahoney
12. Shadows (Ashes, #2) - Isla J. Bick
13. Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) - Rachel Caine
14. The Farm (The Farm, #1) - Emily McKay
15. Jane Eyre Laid Bare - Charlotte Brontë & Eve Sinclair
|Lazing out in the sun with the puppy|
And because I'm in love with random statistics and such:
Avg. pages: 355pgs per book
5 stars - 3
4 stars - 2
3 stars - 5
2 stars - 4
1 star -1
Of the above books, only one made it to my all-time favourites list: Margo Lanagan's Brides of Rollrock Island (published as Sea Hearts here in Aus). This was my first novel of hers that I'd read, and holy crap, I regret not picking up her stuff sooner. When I find the time, I plan on picking up Tender Morsels.
Fire Spell by Laura Amy Schlitz was another book that I really loved--unfortunately it didn't make it onto the fave list, through no fault of its own, it just didn't click in that way.
Another unforgettable book--for all the wrong reasons--was Jane Eyre Laid Bare. Curiosity forced me to pick it up. I love Jane Eyre. It's one of my favourite novels ever. But this... this was a monstrosity. It provided for some lol-sy entertainment, though, so I guess it served its purpose.
Other things that happened in January:
- meeting Neil Gaiman (for the second time in my life)
- getting my first tattoo
but both those two deserve their own posts, so keep an eye out in the next few days. ;)
I hope the first month of 2013 passed without any complications for everyone. And I hope February will be just as awesome as January. <3